Followers

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Mile 703, here come the Sierras!

Well, I am now at Kennedy Meadows, mile 703 and my hike is about to get real awesome because the Sierras are just around the corner :) I can't tell you how tired of the desert I am, it has been 703 miles of sand, waterless miles, rattle snakes, heat, alot of heat, endless days of no shade, long miles, and crazy wind, so I am excited to get into the mountains. It occured to me today while hiking into Kennedy Meadows that I have now walked from the Mexican border all the way to the Sierras and I have under 2000 miles to go until I get to Canada! I am now content and happy at hiking between 24-28 miles a day, but in the Sierras I will have to lower my miles because of the massive amount of snow. This has been a record year for snow in the Sierras and the passes, ridges, creeks, and rivers to come will slow me down. I am planning to hike around 15-18 a day through the Sierras and I am choosing to carry 11 days of food through the Sierras so I can stay up there and just experience the mountains, without seeing a road, town or groups of people. I also plan to summit and sleep on the top of Mt. Whitney, 14,495 feet during my 11 day section in the Sierras. The group I have been hiking on and off with  is starting to break apart, we all have different plans for resupply and most of them don't have any experience in the snow, so they will fall behind me, which is sad, but you got to hike your own hike, and I won't give up my Sierra experience just to stay with a group. Plus, I spend most everyday hiking alone anyway, which I prefer, it is peaceful and I feel grounded and happy in my time alone.It allows me time to dig deep inside and really examine myself. I am sure I will find another group of hikers to travel with. Today, was a year to date from when my grandfather passed away, so I was pretty sad hiking, remembering him and what a great guy he was, wishing I could call him up and tell him my stories about the trail. I miss talking to him very much, he was such a wonderful addition to my life. I wonder what he would say about my travels!

 I am headed to the Sierras :) I am so excited, so ready for some high apline trekking, so ready for great views, and steep trail. That is the thing I love, I have come to like the desert, but I am a mountain girl at heart and I am at my best when I am high up in the mountains. Happy Father's Day tomorow DAD!! I Love you!!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying your posts, Liz. Keep killin' it!!

    ReplyDelete